Saturday, March 8, 2008

UNIT 2

I was found that “Text and Textualities” as an interesting information. The topic tells me about what is text. Text means a combination of signs and signs link together. I totally understand in this topic because the writer uses a simple word and give some example for each explanation like sign was such meaning for various groups of people in various social contexts. For example, words “herb” or “weed”. It brought different meaning to weekend gardeners than to fans of reggae music.

Based on reading 2.2, that is about “Language, Perspective, Ideology”. The topic hard to understand because the writer explains about linguistic features. To interpret these features we need to understand how they interact. The writer also uses the words which unfamiliar for me like metonymy, metaphor, euphemism, diachronic perspective and so on. I must read more than twice to make sure that I really understand about this topic.

For article “battling the bullies” it’s not hard to understand. When I see the headline and the picture, I can guess what the writer want to tell the readers. The text is clear and gives some explanation about the bullies. It is good for the readers especially for students because in this article the writer also put opinion from Dr. Darryl Cross as educational psychologists. The language that use in this article is normal as long as people can understand all of the information. When I read the article, I know that bullies are some serious case which happens in this world. In addition, the language used in this article is concrete enough to show that bullies are a big and serious issue to the readers.

This week, the group presentation actually has some problems. They cannot understand this topic and it make they cannot give a strong explanation. But they still try to present and hope people still can understand what they want to tell them. They use a simple language and also they put an example in their explanation.

No comments: